Thursday, March 26, 2009

The land of the Rattlers

Morning practice was tough mentally and physically. 9x750m hard with the Czech and Slovakian girls, yep I was hanging on to there wash for dear life so I wouldn't drop off the pace. I made it and even had a good job from our coach for staying strong through the whole workout! I flew off to work for a few hours came back lifted (felt good) then proceeded to walk down to the boat house. The boat house is down the hill and across the road from the main campus of the OTC. Like normal I started to meander down to the boat house for our third session. About halfway down i glanced over to the bushes on my right, there curled up and intently staring at some prey was the glistening black form of the local rattle snake, I managed not to scream but I started to hyperventilate and almost past out, by the time I arrived at the boat house I was shaking and almost past out again, yes apparently me... who is not afraid of bears, mountain lions, dissecting dead things and performing brain surgery on rats.... has a severe snake phobia.
Well I managed to calm down after about half an hour and go out to practice with a few of the Slovaks. Its really fun to train with the other national teams which are here it mixes it up and pushes you further then you thought you could go!
cheers
K

2 comments:

  1. Aww..sheesh I used to handle Rattlers in Tucson,their arent bad if you sneak up from behind and grab them 5 inches behind the head and the tail. Will have to send you one of my photos, with me holding a 6 footer.I once saw a 13+ foot Mojave rattler , but those are really bad juju and their bite is akin to a Cobra's venom, and hard to get out of the Arroyo's fast enough to get anti venom shot, and live, but the common southwest Diamondback Rattler are pretty docile

    ReplyDelete
  2. psss hey don't forget I made this photo,and prophetically named it _Red_Cobra_Head_ 2 yrs ago :lol:
    http://alembic-lynx.deviantart.com/art/Red-Cobra-Head-69930696

    ReplyDelete