Saturday, July 31, 2010

Summer Days

The temperature is rising daily in OKC and our training is heating up in preparation for the 2010 US Canoe/kayak national championships which will be hosted by the Chesapeake Boathouse in OKC.
After getting back from a month of training and racing in the northeast, I felt like my body was done. Each practice was miserable and my boat speed was flat, I really couldn't understand what was happening with my body. After 2.5weeks of this my mental state was destroyed and I thought I would never go fast again, then we started doing faster shorter pieces at high intensity, and my body started responding and my boat speed shot up to the fastest I have ever been. This experience taught me the importance of training cycles and the use of different intensities and workout volume. I knew it intuitively but feeling the dramatic changes in my own body hit it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment