Thursday, June 11, 2009

Training Hard, and Harder

6:05am the alarm went off. Laying in bed listening to my phone alarm I felt a distinctive urge to roll over and sleep. This desire was not fueled by fatigue but by the thought of the mornings workout 10x500m on 6min @ max average time (meaning as had as you can go and still keep going). I forced myself out of bed with the thought of a few extra minutes to sip a cup of coffee and read my book before hitting the water for practice it worked and 5min later I was out the door and on my way.
7am we were on the water and starting a slow warm up gradually preparing the brain for the workout to come (in workouts like these, the mind has just as great an impact on if the body fails as the body does, if that makes any sense. )
20min later we were cranking out the 500m pieces at 2:10pace which was a good 5seconds faster per 500 then I had ever done for this workout. The first piece I clocked in at 2:10 then the next, my stroke rate was low but I had good power and focused on technique keeping steady through the whole thing. By the end of the workout my brain and body turned to toast or mush or some combination but I had stayed consistent throughout focusing in on each 500m and not letting the work out get ahead of me.
Now at 3pm my brain and body are still mush as I prepare for the next workout of the day, and I suspect I wont have a lot of umf. But it is workouts like this morning that push you beyond your comfort zone which make the next work out no matter how uncomfortable worth doing.
(ok since I am still mush this post may not make a lot of sense but I will come back and check it tomorrow) till then
K

No comments:

Post a Comment